August 30-31, Cycropia will host a series of workshops with guest aerialist Jessica John.
Friday August 30th
6:30 – 8:00 PM
Knotty Problems & Ephemeral Loops (Intermediate to Advanced)
Get ready to throw a rope tantrum. In this workshop, we’ll be tossing and turning, and loops will disappear and re-emerge. Your audience will not know what hit them.
Prerequisite: A straight-leg, bent-arm inversion from the air is required. A straight-arm inversion and a 3-second one-arm hang is suggested.
Saturday August 31st
11:00 AM – 12:30 PM
Aerial Hacks (Intermediate to Advanced)
This workshop offers tips and techniques for mastering the flashiest tricks. Planches, roll-ups, crocs, and more will be explored on a variety of apparatuses. Ground-based educatives and conditioning will lay the groundwork for your dream skills.
Apparatus: Fabric, rope, single point trapeze, and sling.
Prerequisite: Comfortable inverting and moving on vertical and horizontal apparatuses. A clean skin the cat and a straight-leg wheeldown is required.
1:00 – 2:30 PM
Butt Stuff (All Levels)
This workshop takes aim at the peach. We will focus on the strength, stability, and mobility for splits and back-bending like a boss. You will come away with a program that you can implement and continue to progress at home.
Equipment Needed: Yoga blocks, peanuts or lacrosse balls, therabands (mini or long), please bring your own if you have them!
3:30 – 5:00 PM
Handstand Handiwork: Dance Trapeze (Intermediate to Advanced)
In this workshop, we will explore our inner handbalancers by using the ropes as a steady, and not so steady, support system on the dance trapeze. Bring your chevs!
Apparatus: Single-point/Dance Trapeze
Prerequisite: Bent-arm inversion in the ropes is required. Able to hold a handstand against a wall with strong body tension and straight arms for at least 10 seconds.
Jessica John is a circus artist, director, choreographer, and coach. In her personal practice, she specializes in rope, rope loop, aerial fabric, and dance trapeze. She is the founder and director of Alter Circus, a feminist contemporary circus and performance company, and Circus Mobility, a peak performance coaching company. An ardent movement researcher, she was a competitive tennis athlete, teenage “rockette,” and ski bum, before finding a passion for circus in 2009. In 2017, after the 2016 US presidential election, she left her job as an intelligence officer with the CIA, to pursue a full-time coaching, performing, and directing career.
Jessica offers progressive technical and artistic coaching on static aerial apparatuses. Her coaching and choreographic style emphasizes efficiency, strength, and innovation. Jessica uses her skills as a GYROTONIC® and GYROKINESIS® trainer and a physical therapy aide as well as her Functional Movement Screen Level One certification to safely push performers and students beyond their perceived limits. Jessica coaches professionals in solo act creation for performances and competitions and helps aspiring artists develop compelling auditions for camps, professional programs, and competitions and festivals. Previous students have been accepted into Circus Smirkus, Ecole Nationale de Cirque, New England Center for Circus Arts, and San Diego Circus Center, and competitions and festivals like Cirque de Demain, Circus Stars USA, and the Aerial Acrobatic Arts Festival.
5048 Tradewinds Parkway, Madison, WI 53718 (select for map)
- $55 – Active Cycropia Students
- $60 – General Public
To register, please read these instructions:
- Selecting the ‘Press To Register‘ button below will open the registration form in a new window.
- Select your Cycropia affiliation (‘Active Flyer’ or ‘General Public’) by setting the associated pull-down menu to “1”.
- Active Flyers: Cycropia members who are currently enrolled in Cycropia classes.
- General Public: General public and non-enrolled Cycropia members.
- Collective: For internal use only.
- Select a course that you wish to enroll in, by selecting the green “BOOK” button.
- Log into or create your free Bookeo account.
- Cycropia uses the industry-standard Bookeo registration service: All registrants are required to create a free Bookeo account.
- If you do not already have a Bookeo account, please fill out the required information and press ‘Next’.
- To add additional bookings, select the ‘Add another selection‘ button and repeat step 2.
- Please note that Cycropia’s enrollment system is set up to only permit single enrollments: If you have a friend or family member who wishes to enroll as well, they will need to do so via their own account.
- Once all bookings have been selected, select the ‘Checkout‘ button.
- Enrollments are not confirmed until the checkout process has been completed.
- Complete the checkout process via the payment solution of your choice.
- Once you select the “Pay now and confirm your booking” button, you will leave this page and be redirected to the payment service.
- Upon successful completion of your enrollment/s, you will receive an email verification.
- If you do not receive a notification within a reasonable amount of time, please check your spam/junk filter.
- In the case of a filled class or workshop, you will be given the option to be added to a wait-list.
- Bookeo will send registered customers a notification when open seats become available – notifications are based upon the order by which one registered.
- Please note that notified customers will be allowed 30 minutes to complete booking before the available seat is offered to the next available customer.
Please note that all enrollments will be processed on a first-come, first-serve basis: Cycropia reserves the right to cancel any enrollments.
For questions and additional information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.