February 2-3, Cycropia will host a series of workshops with guest aerialists Mandy Hackman.
Saturday Feb 2nd
Lyra Beyond the Splits
Bust open your assumptions about what lyra can be in this intermediate-advanced workshop that explores different ways of moving in and around the hoop, from dynamic rotations to slides to drops to unexpected balance possibilities and strength moves. Get beyond showing off your splits to find something a little bold, and add a little edge to your lyra routine.
Prerequisite: This workshop requires an “intermediate” level of lyra experience.
Ground It: Skills for Moving Without an Apparatus
If you are an all-time superhero in the air but a lost baby bird on the floor, this workshop is for you. We will take those amazing muscles and skills you’ve developed in the air and, using the floor as our apparatus, unlock the mysteries of dancing with gravity rather than against it. Taking off from the principles of rhythm, push/pull, and moving with awareness of all our limbs, we will explore the floor as a friend and learn a piece of choreography infused with a floor-movement tool kit you can take confidently out into your world.
Prerequisite: This workshop has no prerequisites.
Sunday Feb 3rd
11:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Fabric for Mad Scientists
In this class we will take our fabric skills on an adventure, morphing known vocabulary into new and unique skills. We will start by learning a piece of fabric choreography, and then take it apart and inspect each element for what it could be: flipping, shifting, inventing, and letting things get a little off the beaten path until each of us has something entirely our own. Drawing from dance and aerial composition techniques as well as fabric and momentum theory, we will treat our shared fabric sequence not as a complete thought, but as a starting point and a scaffolding for our own mad inventions.
Prerequisite: This workshop requires an “intermediate” level of fabric/silk experience.
Mandy has performed and taught aerial arts, contemporary dance, and composition nationally and internationally, from Denver to Atlanta to New York to the Kennedy Center in D.C to Gujarat, India. She is the resident Director of Circus for Double Blind Productions, founder/ Director of nationally touring acrobatic dance group Tree Project, and a founding member of ShapeShifter Collective.
2001 Taft Street, Madison, WI 53713 (click here for map)
Enrollment costs are calculated per class, with payment structures being divided into two affiliation categories:
- Active Cycropia Flyers (currently enrolled students):
- Lyra Beyond the Splits: $60
- Ground It: $45
- Fabric Choreography for Mad Scientists: $60
- General Public and non-enrolled Cycropia Flyers)
- Lyra Beyond the Splits: $65
- Ground It: $50
- Fabric Choreography for Mad Scientists: $65
To register, please read these instructions:
- Selecting the ‘Press To Register‘ button below will open the registration form in a new window.
- Select your Cycropia affiliation (‘Active Flyer’ or ‘General Public’) by setting the associated pull-down menu to “1”.
- Active Flyers: Cycropia members who are currently enrolled in Cycropia classes.
- General Public: General public and non-enrolled Cycropia members.
- Collective: For internal use only.
- Select a course that you wish to enroll in, by selecting the green “BOOK” button.
- Log into or create your free Bookeo account.
- Cycropia uses the industry-standard Bookeo registration service: All registrants are required to create a free Bookeo account.
- If you do not already have a Bookeo account, please fill out the required information and press ‘Next’.
- To add additional bookings, select the ‘Add another selection‘ button and repeat step 2.
- Please note that Cycropia’s enrollment system is set up to only permit single enrollments: If you have a friend or family member who wishes to enroll as well, they will need to do so via their own account.
- Once all bookings have been selected, select the ‘Checkout‘ button.
- Enrollments are not confirmed until the checkout process has been completed.
- Complete the checkout process via the payment solution of your choice.
- Once you select the “Pay now and confirm your booking” button, you will leave this page and be redirected to the payment service.
- Upon successful completion of your enrollment/s, you will receive an email verification.
- If you do not receive a notification within a reasonable amount of time, please check your spam/junk filter.
- In the case of a filled class or workshop, you will be given the option to be added to a wait-list.
- Bookeo will send registered customers a notification when open seats become available – notifications are based upon the order by which one registered.
- Please note that notified customers will be allowed 30 minutes to complete booking before the available seat is offered to the next available customer.
Please note that all enrollments will be processed on a first-come, first-serve basis: Cycropia reserves the right to cancel any enrollments.
For questions and additional information, please email email@example.com.